Monthly Archives: November 2011
Lynn-D and Yertle have been residents of Moore’s Swamp for five months now. As we are watching Kame and Kachua grow from little nine gram hatchlings to over four times that size over the past two months, it won’t be long now before they too are released back into their natural habitat.
So, for this assignment, you are to write a letter to Kame and Kachua from Lynn-D and Yertle. Your letter should be at least two paragraphs in length, should be creative, use great words, and be very descriptive in nature. Here is also what your letter should contain:
1. Your letter should include information from the time that Dr. Windmiller put Yertle into upper Moore’s Swamp and from the time that I put Lynn-D into lower Moore’s Swamp. What were their feelings when they were released into the swamp? What did they do for the first few days?
2. They have been released now for five months. Over this time period, we have seen lots of different weather, ranging from 100 degree days to Hurricane Irene to snow and thunder storms as well as some nice days. Write about how they
have adapted to all these different weather.
3. What types of activities and fun have Yertle and Lynn-D had at Moore’s Swamp? What types of food have they found in Moore’s Swamp? What do they do on a daily basis?
4. Advice for Kame and Kachua from Lynn-D and Yertle. What types of adaptations will help them survive in Moore’s Swamp? What should they be doing in their tank to get ready?
5. Yertle and Lynn-D’s opinion on whether or not Moore’s Swamp is a great place for the Blanding’s turtles.
YOU CAN ALSO DO THIS AS A CREATIVE STORY. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU INTEGRATE SOME OF THE POINTS FROM ABOVE THOUGH IN YOUR STORY.
Make sure you first type your letter in a word processing program. It should have perfect capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Make sure an adult proofreads it for you before posting.